So this is a bit harder than I thought it was going to be, but I’m still having fun with it. I’m trying to get it done relatively quickly so that I can start this 4-page rough draft paper I have due for English tomorrow, but like I said it’s taking a bit longer than I had anticipated. I hope I’m not looking at a really late night here
I figured out a way to give my model the height and shape it needs! I went back through my design process ALL the way back to my initial inspiration of geodesic domes and I decided to make a dome out of the paper. I’m going to drape the sheet of triangles over the dome and now it will have shape and height. I also love the contrast between the smooth dome and the textured sheet, the initial inspiration and the final product lying on top of it.
So I tried out the advice Prof. Lee gave me, and while I think it would probably work, I just couldn’t get the model into a shape I liked. It just looked like a twisted, ghastly mess, so now I’m kind of stuck as to what to do now…
During Friday studio, we had a review outside in the Lee courtyard of our lanterns-in-progress. I think the professors liked mine! Prof. Lee gave me the advice to take advantage of my pattern’s sheet-like form. He told me to try making a big sheet and then fold it in amongst itself to make a more 3D form. I’m going to try this, it sounds like it could be really good!