Project 2.1 in Progress

So this is a bit harder than I thought it was going to be, but I’m still having fun with it. I’m trying to get it done relatively quickly so that I can start this 4-page rough draft paper I have due for English tomorrow, but like I said it’s taking a bit longer than I had anticipated. I hope I’m not looking at a really late night here

Breakthrough!

I figured out a way to give my model the height and shape it needs! I went back through my design process ALL the way back to my initial inspiration of geodesic domes and I decided to make a dome out of the paper. I’m going to drape the sheet of triangles over the dome and now it will have shape and height. I also love the contrast between the smooth dome and the textured sheet, the initial inspiration and the final product lying on top of it.

Professor Feedback

During Friday studio, we had a review outside in the Lee courtyard of our lanterns-in-progress. I think the professors liked mine! Prof. Lee gave me the advice to take advantage of my pattern’s sheet-like form. He told me to try making a big sheet and then fold it in amongst itself to make a more 3D form. I’m going to try this, it sounds like it could be really good!